Private Twitter lists are a great way to keep up to date on a group of companies, competitors, thought leaders, journalists, etc. – without anyone knowing who you are following.
Why create a private Twitter list?
Twitter lists are like a modern RSS feed – you can passively watch a lot of different companies/people and know about interesting news, trends, etc – without having to actively do any real work.
Keeping the Twitter list private means that the people you follow, and competitors, won’t know who you are following. This helps if you are following a list of customers and you don’t want your competitors to know. Or if you put a lot of time into creating a Twitter list that give you some kind of a competitive advantage and you don’t want someone else to benefit from you work.
I found that it’s not easy to find information on how to create a private Twitter list – not really sure why, as it’s very easy.
How do you create a private Twitter list?
- Click on your face in the top right
- Click “lists”
- Click “create a new” list to the right
- Name the Twitter list it
- Make sure you select the “private” option
- Add people to the list, and there you go!
How do you make an existing Twitter list private?
If you already have a Twitter list and want to convert it from public, where anyone can see it, to Private, where only you can access the list, all you have to do is:
- Click on your face in the top right (see the image above)
- Click “Lists”
- Choose the list, from you lists in the middle
- On the left, click “edit”
- Choose “Private”, then save list