I’m getting really into my instant pot, and the family likes this simple chicken and rice mix. It’s pretty salty when I make it, which is probably why it’s so good.
Note that you do have to use brown rice. White rice cooks too fast.
- olive oil
- 3 cups broth
- 2 cups brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 bell pepper diced into large pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced finely
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- .5 to 1.5 lb chicken breasts
- 2 cups frozen peas or veggies
- lightly cover the bottom of the instant pot with olive oil, turn on saute
- once the oil is warm, cook the onion for 4 to 6 minutes, until it starts to turn transparent
- add chopped garlic, chopped bell pepper, cook for 2 more minute
- turn off saute
- add rice and spices. stir to coat the rice with the oil
- add the broth, stir to cover rice
- place chicken in pot on top of the rice (you may want to add some salt or garlic powder to the top of the chicken if it’s really sticking out of the top of the broth
- add lid to instant pot, set to pressure to high and for 15 minutes
- defrost the frozen veggies while the Instant pot is going
- when the instant pot is done, let it sit with the pressure valve still closed for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Release pressure
- take out chicken, set aside
- add defrosted veggies, stir, close lid and let it warm up the veggies
That’s it – a simple instant pot chicken rice recipe.